Achieving a happier, more productive life requires a firm commitment to ongoing self-improvement. This goal is best achieved through balance, good health, and financial strength. Other important keys to greater life enjoyment include a fruitful career and sound decision-making skills.
Below are five tips to help you live a happier more productive life.
1) Strive to attain balance in your daily pursuits.
People who live well-balanced lives are generally healthier and happier than people who pour all of their time and energy into their jobs or those who completely refrain from engaging in productive activities. Well-balanced individuals are active in all facets of their lives, engaging in a variety of activities such as:
- Involvement in their children’s school functions
- Participation in spiritual or religious activities
- Socialization with friends, family members, or colleagues
- One or more community activities or volunteer opportunities
- Participation in physical fitness activities
- Career-related functions, such as professional development activities or continuing education seminars
2) Make a commitment to improving your physical and mental health.
The path to better health is paved with unwavering dedication to prevention, healthcare maintenance, and physical fitness. Below are some strategies to take to improve your physical and mental health:
- Schedule a physical examination with your primary care doctor every year
- Get a flu vaccination once each year
- Keep your life insurance policies up to date
- Visit your dentist and optometrist at least once annually
- Take the appropriate supplements to help maintain optimal health
- Establish a regular exercise routine and stick to it
- Take advantage of employer-sponsored wellness activities and health fairs
- Consider exploring chiropractic care if you are experiencing joint pain or headaches
3) Seek employment that is rewarding and fruitful.
It is hard to live a happy, fulfilling lifestyle if you feel unhappy or unfulfilled at work. If you feel stuck in a job that brings you little enjoyment or fulfillment, it is time to consider a career change. Here are some qualities to seek in an employer:
- A work culture that stresses balance and employee health
- Flexible work hours or job sharing practices
- A comprehensive benefits package
- An encouraging attitude toward professional development
- A clean, safe, comfortable work environment
- If your job involves travel, choose an employer that will assist you with furnished housing
- Onsite opportunities for training and skill development
4) Ramp up your financial planning.
Whether you are in the early stages of career development or approaching retirement, it is always a good time to jump start your financial planning. This process involves gaining an understanding of your current financial situation and setting financial goals for the future. Below are some tips to improving your financial well-being:
- Track your spending to note seasonal patterns and spikes
- Make sure that you have an emergency fund to cover 3-6 months of living expenses
- Contribute as much as possible to any employer-sponsored retirement accounts
- Calculate how much money you will need to retire comfortably
- Consider enlisting the professional help of a financial services firm to help you manage your money
5) Strive to always think before you act.
Your behavior and actions can strongly influence your opportunities in life. Impulsive behavior and poor decision-making can eliminate desirable opportunities before they have a chance to present themselves to you. Here are a few suggestions to help you develop strong decision-making skills and resist the urge to behave impulsively:
- When you feel anger toward someone, give yourself a chance to cool down before expressing yourself
- If you want to express frustration in writing, ask someone to preview your message before sending it
- Try to own your feelings by using “I” statements rather than more accusatory “You” statements
What’s one tip you would share with someone who wants to start living a happier and more productive life? Share with us in the comments below!