Having been a Rotary Exchange Student, helped me learn to prepare and love to travel. So, here’s some tips for you:
- Use a Master Packing List: Start making one now, do a Google search, or use your next trip’s list as a starting point. Using a master packing list will relieve you from having to write everything all over again each time.
- Pack Early: Whether it’s a week or a day ahead, get your packing going. Generally if I’m going for a week or longer, I start a week ahead, at least getting things together. That way there is time for laundry and I can make sure to not wear something I want to pack during the week before.
- Mix n’ Match: There’s no need to bring your entire closet! Use foundational pieces and mix them up: pick two foundation colors, and then add wraps or different tops to add some color and variety. Use your imagination!
- Keep a Travel Toiletries Bag: Have a small travel bag that is filled with those little travel size containers. Put your shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and whatever else you need in there. When you travel, grab this bag and put it in your suitcase, and you’re ready to go. If you travel regularly, I find it’s a lot easier to keep separate travel sized toiletries for travel, instead of having to transfer all of my full-sized products into travel containers each trip.
- Borrow the Bulky Stuff: Most hotels have hair dryers, irons or steamers, so leave them home. If you’re staying with family, check if you can borrow their appliances. If you MUST bring your own, try a travel sized dryer or iron.
- Extra bags: Fold up an extra tote bag for “just in case,” and bring a few plastic grocery bags for damp or wet swimsuits and dirty laundry.
- Returning home: Before you leave your destination, do your laundry if possible, so clean clothes can be put straight away when you get home. When you get home, refill your toiletries’ containers, unload your suitcase and put everything away. Do it before you sit down, and then relax. Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it?
Have a great tip for traveling? Let me know in the comments below!