Picture this: twinkling lights, gleaming ornaments, and a cozy ambiance that sets the stage for holiday cheer. Now, hold that image in your mind and repeat after me: “I will never buy holiday decor during the holiday season again!” Why, you ask? Because my friend, the true magic lies in the sales that follow the holiday frenzy.
I am a firm believer that you never buy holiday decor during the actual holiday and that you should start shopping for gifts at least a couple of months ahead of the gifting event.
Think about it. The holiday season is a time of soaring prices and high demand. Retailers know that we’re all caught up in the excitement and are willing to splurge on decorations that ignite our holiday spirit. But once the wrapping paper settles and the celebrations fade, a different kind of enchantment emerges. It’s the mystical realm of post-holiday sales, where you can find those same whimsical decorations at jaw-droppingly lower prices.
Imagine strolling through the aisles of your favorite stores, eyes widening as you spot the very same ornaments, wreaths, and dazzling lights that adorned countless homes just days ago. But this time, they’re practically begging to be adopted, nestled in your shopping cart, and taken to their new home—all at a fraction of their original cost. It’s a celebration of budget-savvy triumph, a dance of victory as you revel in the treasure trove of discounted holiday splendor.
And let’s not forget the joy of planning ahead. As you bask in the glory of post-holiday sales, you’ll have an entire year to dream up new themes, perfect your holiday vision, and eagerly anticipate the moment when you unveil your stunning decorations to the world. Just imagine the envy on your loved ones’ faces when they witness your festive wonderland, all while secretly wondering how you managed to create such magic without breaking the bank.
So, my dear holiday enthusiast, heed my words: resist the allure of buying holiday decor during the holiday season. Wait for the perfect moment, when the sales begin, and the prices descend. It’s then that you’ll experience the true enchantment of transforming your home into a holiday haven, all while saving a sleigh-load of money. Trust me, once you’ve tasted the sweet nectar of post-holiday deals, you’ll never look back.
When Do the Holiday Sales and Discounts Happen?
Main holiday sales, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, etc, usually start the day after the holiday. However, if a store believes they have way too much stock, they may start to discount a few things ahead of time.
Typically, stores discount their items on a scale. First, you might see 30%-40%, The next week 50%-70%, and then finally, for all the items they can’t get rid of, they may mark them down to 80%-90%, or just send them to the salvage store.
Every store is slightly different, of course, and you can probably discover your store’s specific discount schedule if you search for it, but this is a fairly general idea of what you can expect.
This means you should prioritize your wants by how much of a discount you’d need to purchase them. Is there something you want really badly and don’t want to risk it selling up before you can get it? Take the first discount period. Is there another item that you kinda like but could live without? Maybe wait another week and see if you can snag it at a steeper discount.
Here are some of the major holiday sales and when you can expect to start seeing discounts for them as well as the types of items known to be featured during the different sales:
Black Friday is the day after the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. It is often considered the official start of the holiday shopping season, with many retailers offering significant discounts, doorbuster deals, and limited-time promotions. Black Friday sales typically occur both in-store and online.
Black Friday sales now begin the week before Thanksgiving and often continue through the week after. However, smaller or more traditional stores may still limit their Black Friday sale to that Friday or just through the weekend.
The best Black Friday sales and discounts are also generally limited. So if you want to snag a great deal, you’ll have to get there before they sell out.
Cyber Monday is the Monday following the Thanksgiving weekend. It is focused on online shopping, with retailers offering exclusive deals and discounts specifically for online shoppers.
Cyber Monday sales are particularly prevalent in the electronics, technology, and fashion categories, but many other retailers also participate.
Leading up to Christmas, many retailers offer promotions and sales to attract last-minute shoppers. These sales can start as early as the beginning of December and continue until a few days before Christmas. During this time, you can find discounts on a wide range of products, including gifts, decorations, electronics, and more.
After Christmas, retailers often hold clearance sales to make room for new inventory. These sales can begin as early as December 26th and extend into the first few weeks of January. Shoppers can find discounted holiday-themed items, winter clothing, and other merchandise during these sales.
New Year’s Sales
In the days following New Year’s Day, retailers may offer additional discounts and promotions to attract shoppers. These sales often include a variety of products, including fitness equipment, home goods, and clothing.
Presidents Day in the United States typically falls on the third Monday in February. Many retailers offer sales and promotions during this long weekend, particularly on home appliances, furniture, mattresses, and electronics.
Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May in the United States. It marks the unofficial start of the summer season, and retailers often have sales on outdoor furniture, grills, summer clothing, and home goods.
Independence Day, also known as the Fourth of July, is a national holiday in the United States. Retailers may offer sales and discounts on patriotic-themed items, outdoor gear, electronics, and summer-related products.
Labor Day in the United States is observed on the first Monday of September. It signals the end of summer, and retailers often offer discounts on appliances, mattresses, home decor, and clothing during this time.
Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday of October in the United States. While it is not as widely recognized as other holidays, some retailers may still offer sales and promotions on various products.
Veterans Day is observed on November 11th in the United States. Some retailers show appreciation for veterans and active-duty military personnel by offering special discounts and promotions.
Single’s Day, also known as 11.11 or Double Eleven, is a shopping holiday that originated in China. It occurs on November 11th and has gained global popularity. Many online retailers, especially in the e-commerce industry, offer significant discounts and deals on this day.
Boxing Day is celebrated on December 26th in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. It is a traditional shopping day with retailers offering sales and discounts, similar to the after-Christmas sales in the United States.
Valentine’s Day is celebrated on February 14th in many countries. Retailers often offer promotions on gifts such as flowers, chocolates, jewelry, and romantic experiences.
Easter is a Christian holiday that falls on varying dates in the spring. Retailers may have sales on Easter-themed merchandise, including decorations, candy, clothing, and toys.
Halloween is celebrated on October 31st and is associated with costumes, decorations, and candies. Many retailers offer discounts on costumes, party supplies, home decor, and seasonal treats.
Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that lasts for eight nights and falls on varying dates between late November and late December. Retailers may have sales on Hanukkah-themed items, such as menorahs, dreidels, and traditional foods.
St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on March 17th, particularly in Ireland and countries with Irish heritage. While it is not primarily a shopping holiday, some retailers may offer promotions on green-themed merchandise, party supplies, and apparel.
Mother’s Day is observed on different dates, depending on the country, but it usually falls on the second Sunday in May. Retailers often provide sales and promotions on gifts such as flowers, jewelry, spa treatments, and other items catering to mothers.
Father’s Day is celebrated on different dates worldwide, typically on the third Sunday in June. Retailers may offer discounts and promotions on gifts for fathers, including electronics, tools, clothing, and outdoor gear.
While not centered around a specific holiday, the back-to-school season in late summer is significant for retailers. Many stores offer sales on school supplies, backpacks, clothing, electronics, and dorm room essentials.
National Shopping Holidays
Some countries have their own dedicated shopping holidays. For example, in China, the Singles’ Day (November 11th) and the Double Twelve Day (December 12th) are notable for massive sales and promotions.
What Stores Are Known for Having Great Holiday Sales
There are several stores known for offering great holiday sales and discounts. While the specific deals can vary from year to year, the following retailers have a reputation for offering significant discounts and promotions during holiday seasons:
- Amazon: Amazon is known for its extensive range of products and often offers substantial discounts on a wide variety of items during holiday sales events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Walmart: Walmart is a popular destination for holiday shopping, offering deals on electronics, toys, home goods, and more. They typically have special promotions and sales during the holiday season.
- Target: Target is known for its holiday sales, offering discounts on a range of products including electronics, home decor, clothing, and toys. They often provide additional savings through their exclusive deals, including their Target Circle program.
- Best Buy: Best Buy specializes in electronics and appliances and is renowned for its Black Friday deals. They offer discounts on televisions, laptops, gaming consoles, and other tech gadgets during the holiday season.
- Macy’s: Macy’s is a department store that holds significant sales during the holiday season, particularly on clothing, accessories, and home goods. They often have promotions like “One Day Sales” and offer coupons for additional savings.
- Kohl’s: Kohl’s is known for its frequent sales and discounts throughout the year, and they typically have attractive deals during the holiday season. They offer a wide range of products, including clothing, home goods, and electronics.
- Home Depot: Home Depot is a go-to store for home improvement and DIY enthusiasts. During the holiday season, they often have sales on tools, appliances, holiday decorations, and more.
- Costco: Costco is a membership-based warehouse club that offers discounts on a wide range of products throughout the year. They are particularly known for their electronics, appliances, and bulk items. They often have special holiday deals for their members.
- JCPenney: JCPenney is a department store that offers a variety of products, including clothing, home goods, and accessories. They frequently have sales and promotions during the holiday season.
- REI: If you’re into outdoor gear and equipment, REI is worth considering. They often have holiday sales, including discounts on camping gear, hiking equipment, and outdoor clothing.
- Nordstrom: Nordstrom offers high-quality clothing, accessories, and beauty products. They have annual sales events like the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, which includes discounted items from various brands.
- Bath & Body Works: Bath & Body Works is known for its holiday-themed scented candles, body care products, and home fragrances. They often have promotions and discounts during the holiday season.
- Ulta Beauty: Ulta Beauty is a popular beauty retailer that offers a wide range of cosmetics, skincare, and hair care products. They have regular sales throughout the year and typically offer special deals during the holiday season.
- GameStop: GameStop specializes in video games, consoles, and gaming accessories. They often have holiday promotions, especially during Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.
- Sephora: Sephora is a well-known beauty retailer that offers a wide selection of makeup, skincare, and fragrance products. They have sales and promotions during the holiday season, including their annual Sephora Beauty Insider sale.
- Gap: Gap is a clothing retailer known for its casual and trendy apparel. They typically have holiday sales, offering discounts on clothing for men, women, and children.
- Old Navy: Old Navy, a subsidiary of Gap Inc., is known for its affordable and stylish clothing. They often have significant sales and promotions during the holiday season.
- Bed Bath & Beyond: Bed Bath & Beyond offers a wide range of home goods, including bedding, kitchenware, and decor items. They frequently have sales and discounts during the holiday season.
- Williams Sonoma: Williams Sonoma is a specialty retailer that focuses on kitchenware, cookware, and gourmet food. They often have holiday sales and promotions, making it a popular destination for holiday cooking and entertaining needs.
- Hobby Lobby: Hobby Lobby runs seasonal promotions or sales events, especially during holiday periods. These sales events can include discounts on specific categories of items or holiday-themed merchandise. It’s a good idea to check their website or sign up for their newsletter to stay updated on any upcoming promotions or sales they may be offering during the holiday season.
- Michaels: Michaels is a craft store that offers art supplies, home decor, and seasonal items. They typically have holiday sales and coupons for DIY enthusiasts and craft lovers.
- IKEA: IKEA is a popular furniture and home goods retailer. They often have holiday promotions, including discounts on furniture, decor, and kitchen items.
- REI: REI specializes in outdoor gear and apparel. They typically have holiday sales, including discounts on camping equipment, hiking gear, and winter clothing.
- Staples: Staples is an office supply retailer that offers discounts on electronics, office furniture, and other business-related products during the holiday season.
- Cabela’s: Cabela’s is a retailer specializing in hunting, fishing, and outdoor gear. They frequently have holiday promotions, particularly during Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Dick’s Sporting Goods offers a wide range of sporting goods and athletic apparel. They often have holiday sales, including discounts on sports equipment, workout gear, and footwear.
- PetSmart: PetSmart is a pet supply retailer that offers holiday sales on pet food, toys, bedding, and other pet-related products.
- Barnes & Noble: Barnes & Noble is a bookstore that offers discounts on books, e-books, and other reading-related items during the holiday season. They may also have promotions on their e-readers, such as the Nook.
- Joann: Joann is a fabric and craft store that offers holiday sales on fabric, yarn, crafting supplies, and seasonal decor.
- Academy Sports + Outdoors: Academy Sports + Outdoors is a sporting goods retailer that often has holiday promotions, including discounts on sports equipment, outdoor gear, and athletic apparel.
Remember that while these stores are known for their holiday sales, it’s always a good idea to compare prices, read reviews, and check for any additional promotions or coupons before making a purchase.
How to Find the Best Holiday Sales
Finding the best deals during seasonal sales or holiday shopping events can require some strategic planning and research. Here are a few tips to help you maximize your savings:
- Create a budget: Determine how much you’re willing to spend and prioritize the items you’re looking for. This will help you stay focused and avoid overspending.
- Research in advance: Keep an eye on upcoming sales and promotions. Subscribe to newsletters, follow retailers’ social media accounts, and visit their websites to stay updated on the latest deals and discounts.
- Compare prices: Before making a purchase, compare prices across different retailers. Online platforms and price comparison websites can help you find the best price for a specific item.
- Sign up for loyalty programs: Many retailers offer loyalty programs that provide exclusive discounts, early access to sales, or special promotions. Consider signing up to take advantage of these benefits.
- Utilize deal websites and apps: There are various deal websites and mobile apps that aggregate discounts and coupon codes from different retailers. Examples include RetailMeNot, Honey, and Slickdeals. These platforms can help you find additional savings.
- Look for bundled offers: Retailers often bundle related items or offer discounts when purchasing multiple products together. Be on the lookout for such offers to maximize your savings.
- Consider timing: During holiday shopping events, prices may fluctuate. It’s often beneficial to monitor prices leading up to the event and track any pre-sale or post-sale price changes.
- Be aware of return policies: Before making a purchase, familiarize yourself with the retailer’s return policy. This ensures that you can easily return or exchange items if needed.
- Use credit card rewards: If you have a credit card that offers cashback or rewards points, consider using it for your purchases to earn additional benefits.
- Don’t forget local stores: While online shopping can be convenient, don’t overlook local stores. They may have their own promotions or unique offerings that can provide value.
- Subscribe to deal forums and online communities: Join online forums or communities dedicated to sharing deals and discounts. These platforms often have active members who share insider tips, promo codes, and exclusive offers that may not be widely advertised.
- Follow social media influencers and bloggers: Many influencers and bloggers specialize in finding and sharing deals. Follow them on social media platforms or subscribe to their newsletters to receive updates on exclusive promotions or limited-time offers.
- Use browser extensions: Install browser extensions like PriceBlink or Honey, which automatically compare prices and provide coupon codes while you shop online. These extensions can save you time and help you find hidden discounts.
- Check cashback websites: Explore cashback websites such as Rakuten (formerly Ebates), TopCashback, or Swagbucks. These platforms offer cashback or rewards for online purchases made through their links. You can earn a percentage of your purchase amount back as cash or rewards.
- Attend local holiday markets or craft fairs: Look for local holiday markets or craft fairs in your area. These events often feature unique products from local artisans and vendors. You may find one-of-a-kind items and potential discounts, especially if you negotiate directly with the sellers.
- Utilize price protection policies: Some credit cards offer price protection policies. If you purchase an item and its price drops within a specific timeframe, you may be eligible for a refund of the price difference. Check with your credit card issuer to see if this benefit is available to you.
- Shop during off-peak hours: While it may not be a secret, shopping during off-peak hours can sometimes yield better deals. Avoiding peak shopping times like Black Friday or Cyber Monday may help you discover less crowded sales or promotions that others may overlook.
- Sign up for retailer-specific apps: Many retailers have their own mobile apps that offer exclusive deals and discounts. By downloading and using these apps, you may gain access to special promotions, early access to sales, or personalized offers.
- Utilize price tracking tools: Several online tools and browser extensions, such as CamelCamelCamel or Keepa, allow you to track price histories of products on popular e-commerce platforms like Amazon. By using these tools, you can see price trends over time and make more informed purchasing decisions during sales events.
- Check out outlet stores or clearance sections: Outlet stores and clearance sections in physical retail locations or online stores can offer significant discounts on past-season items, overstocked products, or discontinued merchandise. Keep an eye out for these sections during holiday sales.
- Take advantage of flash sales and limited-time offers: Some retailers offer flash sales or limited-time promotions that are available for only a short period. These deals may not be heavily advertised, so staying alert and checking the retailer’s website or social media accounts regularly can help you discover them.
- Look for referral programs: Some online retailers offer referral programs where you can earn discounts or credits by referring friends or family to shop on their platforms. Take advantage of these programs to enjoy additional savings during your holiday shopping.
- Sign up for price drop alerts: Certain websites or apps allow you to set up price drop alerts for specific products. You can input the desired price you’re willing to pay, and you’ll receive notifications when the price drops to or below that threshold.
Remember to exercise caution and be mindful of your personal information and online security when making purchases online. Happy shopping and finding great deals!
Final Thoughts on How to Get the Best Deals During Seasonal and Holiday Sales
The real magic happens when you resist the temptation to buy holiday decor during the holiday season itself and embrace the wondrous realm of post-holiday sales. It’s during these sales that you’ll find the same enchanting ornaments, twinkling lights, and festive accents at prices that will make your heart skip a beat.
By patiently waiting for the frenzy to subside and the discounts to emerge, you’ll unlock a world of possibilities. You’ll have the opportunity to create the holiday wonderland of your dreams while keeping your wallet jingling merrily. The satisfaction of finding hidden gems and bargains will add an extra layer of joy to your holiday preparations.
So, my friend, let the anticipation build, mark your calendars, and prepare to embark on your thrifty adventure. Embrace the thrill of seeking out those remarkable post-holiday sales, where you’ll discover the treasures that will make your home shine with seasonal splendor.
With a twinkle in your eye and a thrifty spirit, may your future holiday seasons be filled with the perfect blend of holiday cheer and budget-friendly bliss.
Happy shopping, and may your future holidays be filled with thrifty cheer!