For many people, the word “good-bye” is uncomfortable and confusing. Depending on the situation, goodbyes are either too emotional or not emotional enough. They’re both happy and sad, last too long or too short, and basically cause a lot of awkward behavior.
Sometimes, it’s helpful to have a thoughtful gift or card and a good idea of what you’re going to say (and not say) before parting. For inspiration, here are twelve kinds of ‘goodbyes’ for different occasions and people.
Creative Ways to Say “Good-Bye”
1. With a bit of Whimsy
via Suz and Roo
2. Old-fashioned British Phrases
via Kim Osborne and Man’s Face Stuff
3. Quotes from Classic Children’s Stories, like Peter Pan or Anne of Green Gables
via The Chaos Factory, Evangelina’s Closet, and Set Apart Studios
4. Or Dr. Who
via Bayleaf Buttons
5. A Bright “Good-Bye” Brooch.
In case you don’t want to say it out loud.
via Plum Palace
6. A “Bon Voyage” Passport Cover
via Dazed Dorothy and Destination Handmade
7. Good-Bye Themed Candy or Chocolate
via CAPOW and Chocolate Says
8. A Journal of Last Thoughts and Wishes
via Journaling Jane
9. A Box of Origami Stars and Travel Quotes
via Paperwork By Me
via Paper Polite and Rat Dog Ink
11. Forget-Me-Not Flowers
via Ural Nature and Copia & Fortuna
12. A Kiss, Of Course