Here are Five Facts you Should Know About Salt:
- Excessive salt raises blood pressure, wrecking havoc with one’s cardiovascular system and kidneys.
- After one high-salt meal, one’s arteries are inflexible for hours.
- Only 6% of our salt and sodium intake comes from the saltshaker; the vast majority comes from processed foods and restaurant meals.
- Salt is listed as “sodium” on food labels. If the sodium number (in milligrams) is bigger than the number of calories per serving, it is a high-salt food.
- The average American eats over 3600mg of sodium per day which is double the recommended amount.