Healthy Tips for Diabetics
- Drink a lot of water. This will help flush the toxins out your system.
- Do not eat immediately after a workout. When you do eat, ensure it is protein rich.
- If you are on insulin, make sure you are following the proper meal and snack guidelines as suggested by your doctor.
- Do not eat fast; masticate and munch your food well before you swallow. This will help you eat less by recognizing when you’re full and also help you digest your food better.
- Eat food at fixed hours. Try to set a cut-off time at night and don’t eat any food past that time.
- Try to eat 80% nutrient dense foods and 20% of whatever else you want.
- Eat more veggies, proteins, and healthy fats and less simple carbs, sugar, and unhealthy fats.
- Get moving. Have at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day. Build up to more in your can.
- Focus on building muscles over just doing cardio. More muscles can help you process more calories and helps with insulin resisters and balancing your sugars.
- Eat a protein-dense breakfast in the morning. Avoid breakfasts that contain a lot of sugar and simple-carbs especially.
- Cut back on the amount of caffeine that you drink. While some caffeine is fine, too much caffeine can cause dependencies and poor mental focus. Plus, many caffeinated beverages come with lots of sugar and chemicals included as well.
- Work with your doctor and a nutritionist. Your doctor is the best person to talk to about your specific lifestyle and diabetes. They will help you know the most important areas for you to improve and also help you find a qualified nutritionist if you’d like.
Have you discovered great tips for managing diabetes? Share with us in the comments below!