Do you ever feel like you are drowning in paper? Loathe the thought of getting it all put away? Is your filing system a force to be reckoned with? Then it might be time for a reboot.
There are many products out there that can help, but you can do it yourself with a little preparation, dedication, and patience. Here’s the basics:
- Gather supplies. Get yourself some banker boxes, manila folders (and hanging folders if you must), tab labels, and paper clips.
- Unload your filing cabinet one drawer at a time, and . . .
- Sort, sort, sort! Sort out old paperwork that isn’t necessary (i.e. old utility bills), and start putting the “to keep” papers into categories. If you abhor filing, consider doing this project in 30 minute increments over a few days.
- Shred the junk. I love my shredder. I only actually need to shred like a fraction of the papers I shred, but it’s something that just gives me so much satisfaction and I consider it a reward for all my hard work.
- Organize as you go. Use categories that make sense to you.
- Put it all back. When you are finished, reload and label your sorted papers back into your old (or new) filing cabinet.
- Make a new inbox. Create an area where you can temporarily store papers that are coming in, then take some time each week or once a month to get these papers put away properly so that you don’t end up with a huge mess again.
Lastly, be sure to keep up with your filing. Keep your filing system as simple as possible and keep on top of it.
Now, get to it!
Looking for more great reads? Check out these related articles:
- Starting the Journey to Organized Home Office Bliss
- Simply Organized: Seven Tips to Boost Workplace Productivity
- Tickler File Your Style
- Reboot Your File Cabinet in 7 Simple Steps
- Americans Spend the Equivalent of 4 Days Every Year Looking for Things
- How to Organize All of Your Creative Ideas
- Workspace Organizational Tips & Inspiration
- Finding Your Unique Organizing Style for Your Business
- Why Organizing Your Home and Office Matters
- Happy Organize Your Home Office Day!