Event tickets, maps, invitations, registration forms, oh my! Papers with dates need homes where you can easily find them. So, how can you keep it all together? One idea is a tickler file, and there are lots of ways to adapt it to your personality and style.
Here’s how you set it up the framework of this system:
What you’ll need:
- 1 box of manila folders (you’ll need 43 overall)
- 1/2 vertical file drawer for storage
Here’s how you do it:
Take twelve of the middle tab folders and write the name of of a month on each, January – December. Then, take thirty-one of the right tab folders and label them 1-31, for the days of the month. Here’s what the setup looks like (I also used hanging files, but you don’t have to):
How to use it:
- Check your Tickler File each day, emptying the day’s folder and placing it behind the next month (see above).
- Store tickets, maps and other date sensitive information in the date folder so you know right where it is
- Use the month folders to store reminders
Make it your own:
- Only use the month folders for an easier more streamlined system (reality check – this is what I do). Using it this way also enables you to place this system on your desktop.
- Store a list of special events like birthdays and anniversaries in each month. (Be sure to check the month ahead so you don’t forget grandma’s birthday!)
- Use color! Use colorful folders and handstamp the labels.
- Hang it on the wall. If you need to see it so you remember it exists, put it in a series of wall pockets to keep it in your line of sight.
Have fun with this system! If you have an adapted way of using a tickler file, I’d love to hear about it, so leave a comment and share the love!
Looking for more great reads? Check out these related articles:
- Starting the Journey to Organized Home Office Bliss
- Simply Organized: Seven Tips to Boost Workplace Productivity
- Reboot Your File Cabinet in 7 Simple Steps
- Americans Spend the Equivalent of 4 Days Every Year Looking for Things
- How to Organize All of Your Creative Ideas
- Workspace Organizational Tips & Inspiration
- Finding Your Unique Organizing Style for Your Business
- Why Organizing Your Home and Office Matters
- Happy Organize Your Home Office Day!