Basic Things to Know about Common Vegetarian Substitutes and Organic Foods

Heads up, Empowered Shoppers, we’re a participant in affiliate marketing programs. For more information, see our disclosure here.


1. There are all kinds of varieties of milk

Most people have heard of soy milk, but in addition to soymilk, there is also rice, oat, and almond milk. They all are great alternatives for those who are allergic to soy. This being said, soy milk usually has more nutrients compared to other milk. Fortified soy milk usually comes with a number of vitamins, including vitamins A, B12, and D.

2. Powdered vegetarian egg replacer is great for replacing regular eggs

Powdered vegetarian egg replacers are typically made of several vegetable starches. To use a replacer, mix some replacer powder with water as use it instead of regular eggs. You can do this with virtually any recipe. Vegetarian egg replacers have a really long shelf life, which is why it is a great idea to keep them in your cupboard on hand and use it when you need them.

3. You can use meatless burgers, sausages, and cold cuts instead of meats

There is a variety of meatless burgers, sausages, and cold cuts available on the market. Some of them are made of soy and some are vegetable-based. Different varieties have different tastes, which is why you should try a number of them and find the ones that you like. Some are meant as meat replacers and have a taste similar to meat, while others don’t taste like meat at all. You would cook these replacements just like you would cook meat. Serve them in the same way, too.

4. Seitan is yet another vegetarian convenience food

Seitan is one of the vegetarian convenience foods. It has a chewy substance. It is made of gluten or wheat. You can buy a seitan mix or get it ready-made. You can usually find it in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. One of the great ways to try seitan for the first time is to do so by going to an Asian restaurant and ordering it in a dish.

Other Tips:

6. Be Careful with natural foods

The term “natural foods” usually applies to foods that have minimal processing and do not have any artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. You have to be very careful, however, because there is no legal definition of the term. This means that many manufacturers use it very loosely and the fact that a package says “natural” on it doesn’t really mean anything. A food that a manufacturer claims to be “natural” or “100% real” may have all kinds of artificial elements and preservatives in it.

7. What are organic foods?

Unlike the word “natural,” the term “organic” does have a strict definition. USDA organic is a label that comes with strict requirements for the United States Department of Agriculture. Organic foods must be grown without toxic pesticides or fertilizers, antibiotics, toxic hormones, genetic engineering, or irradiation.

Organic farmers can get their products certified by third-party agencies as “USDA Organic.” USDA Organic products need to contain at least 95% organic ingredients and have the remaining 5% approved for use in organic products.

If you live in a big town, you probably have a natural foods store that carries a lot of organic products. If you don’t, go to farmer’s markets, where you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Ask the farmers about the ways they grow their crops and you’ll get all the information that you need.

Since organic farmers don’t use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides, organic foods are likely to have odd shapes, and small blemishes and be not as glossy as their non-organic counterparts.

You May Also Like: