Pizza rolls are a classic. They’re great for parties, college me practically lived off of them, my toddlers love them, and they’re the perfect food for when you just have a craving for something greasy and savory. Also, I love taking them camping and roasting them over the fire with a hand-held hamburger cooking device.
The problem with these delicious pizza rolls, however, is that when you microwave them they turn into mushy rolls of molten lava cheese. But who wants to grab out an oven pan and wait forever for them to cook them in your oven? Not me.
This is why the air fryer is my favorite option for cooking pizza rolls. It makes them perfectly crispy. No mush in site. Here’s all you need to know if you’re wanting to try cooking pizza rolls in your air fryer yourself.
How To Air Fry Pizza Rolls
To truly enjoy pizza rolls at their best try cooking them in the air fryer. It’ll take less than 15 minutes from start to finish and they’ll be perfectly crispy on both sides. Here’s what you need to know:
- My air fryer can cook about 20-25 pizza rolls at a time.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Pizza rolls should be in a single layer. If they are too crowded, they won’t be able to cook evenly.
- Rolls can go straight from the freezer bag to the air fryer. No oil is needed as long as you have a non-stick basket.
- If you don’t have a non-stick basket, lightly brush an oil onto the basket. Don’t use a spray oil!
- If you want the rolls to be extra, extra crispy. Lightly brush olive oil over the tops of them.
- Once the pizza rolls are done cooking in the air fryer, remove them and let them cool for a few minutes to avoid that first molten lava bit we’re all familiar with.
- They’re extra yummy if you serve them with sauce for dipping. Ranch is our favorite but many people love marinara, sour cream, BBQ sauce, or a garlic butter sauce too.
- Try topping with mozzarella cheese, extra pepperoni, bacon pieces, pesto, or chives if you’d like to dress them up a little bit.
How Long to Cook Pizza Rolls in Air Fryer?
How long to air fry pizza rolls will slightly depend on how many you’re making and on your particular air fryer. However, in general:
- Pizza rolls cook at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-8 minutes in the air fryer.
- Most air fryers don’t need to be preheated, but I feel like I get a better result when I cook frozen foods in a preheated air fryer.
- Shake the basket at the 4 minute mark to help ensure the pizza rolls will be crispy on both sides. This also help ensure they won’t stick to the basket.
- If your pizza rolls explode, that means you cooked them too long! Cut back your cooking time for a minute or two. You can even try lowering the temperature by ten degrees.
If your pizza rolls aren’t done in the eight minutes, or if you want them even crispier, then don’t be afraid to add a couple extra minutes to the cook time.
Best Brands of Pizza Rolls for the Air Fryer
- Totino’s Pizza Rolls are by far the most popular pizza rolls and easiest to find. This is what we usually use.
- Annie’s Pizza Poppers and Amy’s Pizza Snacks are other great options, but at a slightly higher price point and they may not be sold everywhere.
- You can also use the Michelina’s version if you so desire.
- Some brands sell mini pizza rolls, if you decide to use mini rolls then you’ll definitely need to adjust the recipe for less time.