Five Human Foods to Never Feed Your Dog

Heads up, Empowered Shoppers, we’re a participant in affiliate marketing programs. For more information, see our disclosure here.

One of the most crucial aspects of pet care is knowing what you can and can’t feed your dog. While it can be difficult to say no to that cute little begging face, knowing what foods to keep away from your pet just might end up saving their life. A variety of foods can cause serious health problems for your canine companion, so avoid feeding these human foods to your dog at all costs.

1. Chocolate

Tatyana Vyc /
Tatyana Vyc /

This is the most obvious choice of all. Any dog owner with common sense should know to never leave a chocolate bar lying around. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it will be to your dog. Chocolate also contains large amounts of caffeine, which leads to vomiting and dehydration for your beloved pet. Their body temperature will become elevated, and in some cases, the dog will die from eating chocolate.

2. Milk

Sure, a puppy can consume its mother’s milk after it has been born. But this does not mean your dog can enjoy a swig out of the same carton you drink from each day. Dogs are much like humans, in the sense that they can suffer from lactose intolerance. The milk sugar present in milk is also difficult for a dog to break down, since they lack the proper enzymes. Milk poses no immediate threat to a dog’s life, but can cause disease over the long haul.

3. Garlic

Garlic is much like chocolate to a dog, since stronger garlic will cause more problems than weaker varieties. The stronger the garlic, the more toxic it will be to your pup. Raw garlic is as toxic as it gets. Garlic can be especially problematic, since the effects do not show up immediately. A dog that has consumed garlic becomes sluggish in the days following, while their urine takes on an orange and dark red coloration. Blood transfusions are often necessary.

4. Grapes and Raisins

Grape and raisin consumption can be harmful for a dog, and worst of all, studies are unable to ascertain the chemical compound in grapes and raisins that causes this to happen. A dog’s consumption of grapes and raisins can cause their kidneys to rapidly fail, and symptoms don’t always show themselves immediately. The dog will develop a lack of appetite and become sluggish. If the kidneys fail, they will die within roughly 72 hours.

5. Apple Cores

Dogs that eat from the trash are particularly susceptible to the dangers of apple cores. Apple cores contain cyanide and any dog that ingests them is in danger. A dog that has eaten an apple core may struggle to breathe, experience seizures, and also fall into a coma from which they never wake up.

You May Also Like:
Image of a top hunting dog with hunted bird

Top 10 Hunting Dogs

We love dogs—as pets and certainly as hunting partners for many. Different breeds of dogs can serve as excellent hunting partners, but depending on the

Read More »